Bedmi (masala poori)
Since childhood l am seeing my mom making bedmi on any festive day and sometimes in sunday brunch. Bedmi or you can call masala poori is a very delicious Indian bread that tastes good with aloo ki sabzi, meetha kaddu and even with mutton koftas. Yes, in my family mutton koftas and bedmi combo is a staple during Holi. Definitely, I will share the recipe f mutton koftas with you all. Now you enjoy the bedmi recipe and try yourself!
Serves – 4
Course: Main course bread
Preperation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
Urad dal – 1/2 cup, soaked
Sauf (fennel) – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Red chili pd.- 1 tsp
Dhaniya pd. – 1/2 tsp
Green chili – 2, chopped
Ginger – 1”, chopped
Oil – 2 Tb
Cooking soda – 1/8 tsp, optional
Steps to make:
- Grind green chili and ginger together in a grinder.
- Add saunf, red chili pd., dhaniya pd. and salt to the grinder and grind again with soaked dal. Make a smooth dal paste.
- Now make dough by mixing flour with salt, oil an soda, if adding.
- Mix everything until it crumbles. Then add dal paste to the flour and knead well by adding little water at a time.
- Avoid adding excess water as it may make the dough sticky. You can rub little oil on your hands while kneading to avoid sticking.
- Make a smooth and slightly hard dough.
- Now in a kadhai put oil for deep frying the bedmis. Heat the oil extremely well. You can check the temperature of the oil by putting a small dot size ball of dough, if it comes on the surface of the oil, your oil is well heated.
- Make small balls of same size, out of dough.
- Roll each ball into flat disc, in shape of poori.
- Slowly and carefully put the poori into hot oil and fry.
- Press the poori softly with the frying ladle to let it puff.
- Fry on bith sizes until golden brown or to your deisred texture of crispiness.
- Drain the excess oil on kitchen paper and serve the bedmi with your preferred dish.
Note: Though bedmi tastes best when eaten hot, but you can make the bedmis in advance and store in and airtight container for later use.